Thursday 29 September 2011

Progress this week

So far this week, some things are improving. Jackson has definitely got the hang of giving a paw now, and he has to do this before he gets any food or attention from us. Both of them are responding to the silent whistle I bought, I don't even have time to blow it, then shout "Come" - they've already responded by the time I've finished my two short blasts on the whistle. There was a particularly good test today, Jacky was wayyy up in the back garden, and I was in the kitchen, with the door open. I blew the whistle from in the kitchen, and Jacky heard it and came running in straight away. Both boys are getting lots of praise and some livercake any time they come back in response to the whistle.

We have tried some doorbell training. After ringing it 10 times, we got Jacky down to just giving one yelp, and sitting by the inner porch door, but Mishka is still rather too noisy, although by the 10th ring even he was calming down. We need to do this every day, as I'd not done it for 2 days and when we had a parcel arrive today, the boys were as loud as ever in response to the doorbell.
However, we did have an expected guest around this afternoon, and whilst I opened the door to him, Olga kept the boys in a sit in the hallway. This was a great improvement, and whilst not perfect (each boy did bound over to our guest once or twice to say hello, although we were able to keep Mishka from jumping up with a verbal command. Jacky still jumped once or twice, but both dogs would quickly return for more treats from Olga, only given once they were in a good sit).

Olga has reported that on a walk on Monday morning, with both dogs, they encountered a Bernese mountain dog out with its owner. The dog was on the other side of the road, off the lead, and whilst Jackson noticed it, Olga had got him into a sit quiet early on, and he remained in a sit for a good few moments, only occasionally looking over at the other dog, and straining a little on the lead. Olga was able to lead both boys away without any barking or lunging.
I was not so lucky on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, when walking down a road with parked cars on both verges, I saw a man on the other side of the road, but not his dog. Jacky saw the dog before I did, and the usual chaos ensued.

I'll be ordering a DAP collar for Jacky and the DAP plugin for the house next week, as soon as I get some time, this week has been a busy one at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment